Mustangs commander lays out the New Year

OSAN AIR BASE, Republic of Korea --

The 51st Fighter Wing goals and objectives for 2017 were laid out in a series of wing commander’s calls across base Jan. 3, 2016.

Col. Andrew Hansen, 51st Fighter Wing commander, gave his plan for the new year while thanking Osan Airmen for everything they accomplished in the last year.

“If you only come away with a few things, I want that to be a feeling of appreciation for what you do and pride for what you have done,” Hansen said.

Hansen reminded the 51st FW about his priorities of being ready to fight tonight, maximizing the combat capabilities of the Republic of Korea’s airpower team, strengthening the U.S. and ROK alliance, and caring for our Airmen and their families

“Our vision is focused on a readiness: as Mustangs, we must be ready to fight tonight,” Hansen said. “We stay ready by always looking to improve ourselves as leaders, being not just physically fit, but mentally fit, and by continuing to train like we fight alongside our Korean partners.”

Additionally, Hansen announced plans to add 228 billets for command sponsorship gradually over the next couple years.

“We have initiatives that the Mission Support Group is leading in order to continue expanding the number of families here,” said Hansen. “This assignment is becoming more and more like any overseas assignment from a quality of life standpoint.”

Chief Master Sgt. Alexander del Valle, 51st FW command chief, reminded Airmen that part of our high quality of living is the ability to explore the ROK.

“The rest of the Air Force is not putting their life on hold for a year, so while you are here for a year, don’t waste it away,” said del Valle. “Make goals, do some activities and make plans to explore this beautiful country.”