Colonel Daniel P. Walls is commander of the 51st Operations Group, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea. He commands more than 290 personnel and directs operations for A-10, F-16, and Operations Support Squadrons. The 51st Operations Group's mission is to provide survivable, reliable, precision airpower in both air-to-ground and air-to-air missions to support Joint and Combined Forces on the Korean peninsula.
Colonel Walls received his commission in 1996 from the United States Air Force Academy while earning a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Mechanics. He completed undergraduate pilot training at Vance AFB, OK and A-10 replacement training unit at Davis Monthan AFB, AZ.
Colonel Walls has served in various flying positions with units including the 354th Fighter Squadron at Davis-Monthan AFB, the 25th Fighter Squadron at Osan AB, ROK, and the 74th and 75th Fighter Squadrons at Pope AFB, NC. He completed the Weapons Instructor Course in 2002 and was assigned to the 354th Fighter Squadron. Colonel Walls has subsequently held a joint staff position with Joint Special Operations Command and completed professional military education at the Air Force Institute of Technology and US Naval War College. Colonel Walls commanded the 25th Fighter Squadron at Osan AB, ROK. Colonel Walls is a command pilot with over 2,900 flying hours, including 566 combat hours.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Mechanics, U.S. Air Force Academy
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Master of Business Administration, Eller School of Business, University of Arizona, AZ
2009 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2009 Master of Science in Operations Analysis, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
2012 Air War College (Correspondence)
2016 Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College
1. Oct 1996 - Oct 1997, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, OK.
2. Nov 1997 - Jan 1998, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus AFB, Mississippi
3. Feb 1998 - Jul 1998, Student, A-10 Formal Training Unit, 358th Flying Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. Aug 1998 - Aug 1999, A-10 Fighter Pilot, Battalion Air Liaison Officer, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, ROK.
5. Aug 1999 - Jan 2002, A-10 Instructor/Flight Commander, 354th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ.
6. Jan 2002 - Jun 2002, A-10 USAF Weapons Instructor Course Student, 57th Wing, USAF Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. Jun 2002 - Jul 2003, Squadron Weapons Officer, 354th Fighter Squadron, 355th Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ.
8. Aug 2003 - Apr 2006, Group Weapons and Training Flight Commander, 23rd Operational Support Squadron, Pope AFB, NC.
9. Apr 2006 - Jun 2008, Director of Centralized Training Unit Operations, 355th Training Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ
10. Jun 2008 - Jun 2009, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH.
11. Jun 2009 - Jul 2011, Joint Staff Officer, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, NC.
12. Sep 2011 - May 2013, Director of Operations, 354th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ.
13. Jun 2013 - Jun 2015, Commander, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan AB, ROK.
14. Jun 2015 - Jun 2016, Student, U.S. Naval War College
15. Jun 2016 - Jul 2017, Special Advisor to Office of the Secretary of Defense, Strategic Capabilities Office
16. Jul 2017 - Present, Commander, 51st Operations Group, Osan AB, ROK
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,900
Aircraft Flown: A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 29 May 1996
First Lieutenant 29 May 1998
Captain 29 May 2000
Major 1 May 2006
Lieutenant Colonel 1 July 2011
Colonel 1 April 2017
(Current as of July 2017)