Airman Spotlight: Staff Sgt. John Reyes
By Staff Reports, 51st Fighter Wing Public Affairs
/ Published August 19, 2014
OSAN AIR BASE, Republic of Korea --
Name: John O. Reyes
Unit: 51 AMDS
Job title: Medical Standards Management Element NCOIC
Job description and its impact on the overall mission:
- Centralized medical standards review and management
- Profile management (DAWG - responsible for maintaining a fit force)
- AIMWTS management (Responsible for initial and renewal of Aeromedical waivers to keep the primary Air Force mission going)
- Record review (Security/Commissioning/Overseas/Special Duty/Reserve/Guard/Retraining Clearances)
- Initial Flying/SOD Exam Management (Responsible for examinations for those who wish to enter the Air Force Flying world)
- Enlistment Physicals (We are the MEPS in this area of the world for those who wish to join the Air Force)
Time in the military: 10 years and 3 months
Time at Osan: 3 years and 2 months
DEROS: June 2015
Family: Annaliza F. Reyes (wife)
Ken Hirano (son) 9 yrs old
Hometown: Quezon City, Philippines
Hobbies: Reading books, Watching movies, and video games
Why did you join the military? I wanted to enrich myself with the opportunities that the military provides. The educational benefit (I wanted to be a nurse...still want to) was my main drive and I ended up loving military life.
Where do you see yourself in 10 or 20 years? I see myself going back to school gunning for a commissioning program (nursing or PA). I want to be at least a TSgt first, at least. I really see myself as a lifer in the military.
What do you do for fun here? I mostly hang out with my family and friends, either at home or go places in Korea.
What accomplishment are you most proud of? Being a part of the MDG WIT is what I am most proud of, right now. When I was considered for it last year, it was very flattering especially when I am presented the opportunity to be around the giants of the MDG which, ultimately, helped me in my decision-making/management skills and expanded my operational Air Force knowledge.
Who are your role models? MSgt Parmley (ALS Instructor), MSgt Picchione (previous supervisor), SMSgt Respress (previous superintendent), SMSgt De Leon (previous superintendent), MSgt Yarbrough (current mentor - just retired)