Col. Henry R. Jeffress, III is the Vice Commander, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea. He assists the Wing Commander in leading more than 5,500 personnel in the Air Force’s most forward, permanently-based fighter wing. The 51st Fighter Wing, comprised of two fighter squadrons and 13 support squadrons, provides combat-ready forces in the defense of the Republic of Korea. He leads wing staff personnel and provides guidance for nine wing committees. Col. Jeffress assists in the administration of more than $2 billion in assets and an installation budget of $150 million for 130 units in order to defend the base, execute contingency operations, and sustain the acceptance of follow-on forces
Col. Jeffress received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in May 1998. He earned his pilot wings from Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus Air Force Base, Miss. in 1999. Following his transition to the F-16, he served in multiple operational squadrons as an F-16 Mission Commander, Instructor Pilot, Fighter Training Unit Instructor Pilot, and Flight Evaluator. He was also an Aggressor Pilot in the 64th Aggressor Squadron. He served as Deputy Chief Warfighter Integration Office, Executive Officer to the Vice Commander USAF Warfare Center, Air Officer Commanding Cadet Squadron 26 USAFA, and Director of U.S. Strategic Command’s Joint Electromagnetic Preparedness for Advanced Combat.
Col. Jeffress completed his squadron command tour as the 367th Fighter Squadron commander at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla. His squadron was responsible for providing 186 active duty personnel in support of Total Force Integration at the 482nd Fighter Wing. He is also an Air War College graduate and a command pilot with more than 2,200 flying hours, including over 500 instructor hours and 116 combat hours. He has flown in support of Operations Iraqi Freedom, Northern Watch and Republic of Korea defense obligations.
1998 Bachelor of Science Degree in Behavioral Sciences, United States Air Force Academy
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Master of Aeronautical Science Degree, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2009 Air Command and Staff College Distance Learning Program
2011 Master of Arts in Counseling and Leadership, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
2015 Air War College via correspondence
2017 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. Oct. 1998 – April 1999, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. May 1999 – Sept. 2000, Student, F-16 Fighter Training Unit Luke AFB, Ariz.
3. Oct. 2000 – May 2003, F-16 Pilot and Life Support Officer, 23rd Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base Germany
4. June 2003 – June 2004, F-16 Pilot and Chief of Scheduling, 35th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
5. July 2004 – April 2007, F-16 FTU Instructor and Flight Commander, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. May 2007 – June 2008, Weapons Assistant Director of Operations, 64th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. July 2008 – June 2009, Executive Officer to the Vice Commander, USAF Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. July 2009 – April 2010, Deputy Chief Warfighter Integration Office, USAF Warfare Center, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. May 2010 – May 2011, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, Colo.
10. May 2011 – May 2013, Commander, Cadet Squadron 26, USAF Academy, Colo.
11. June 2013 – Aug. 2013, F-16 TX-Student, 182nd Fighter Squadron, Lackland-Kelly AFB, Texas
12. Sept. 2013 – Aug. 2014, Director of Operations, 80th Fighter Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
13. Sept. 2014 – Oct. 2015, Commander, Detachment 93, Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla.
14. Oct. 2015 – June 2016, Commander, 367th FS Homestead ARB, Fla.
15. July 2016 – May 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. June 2017 – June 2019, Chief of Operations, Joint Electromagnetic Preparedness for Advanced Combat, U.S. Strategic Command, Nellis AFB, Nev.
17. July 2019 – June 2020, Director, JEPAC/J3, USSTRATCOM, Nellis, AFB, Nev.
18. July 2020 – Present, Vice Commander, 51st FW, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 17 – June 20 Chief of Operations/Director of Joint Electromagnetic Preparedness for Advanced Combat, U.S. Strategic Command, Nellis, AFB, Nev.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,200
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-16 Blk 25/30/40/42/50/52
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korea Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1998
First Lieutenant May 27, 2000
Captain May 27, 2002
Major Dec. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Apr. 1, 2013
Colonel July 1, 2019
(Current as of Dec 2020)