Tax assistance available during 2007 tax season

  • Published
  • By Tech. Sgt. Jerol Boyce
  • 51st Fighter Wing Legal Office
Are you worried about filing your 2006 taxes on time this year? Not sure where to turn for help? Well, the Osan Tax Center is open through May 1. The tax center has a variety of free services available, including electronic filing and preparation of federal income taxes.

This year, the tax center will be located in the education annex, Bldg. 788, Room 26. The hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, with walk-in hours from 8-10 a.m. daily for 1040EZ filers. Other services will be provided on an appointment basis.

The tax center will be staffed with IRS qualified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance representatives. All representatives either attended IRS-sponsored VITA training in person or online, and will be able to help answer specific tax related questions.

When you come to the tax center to file taxes, you'll need to bring the following documents:

- Military I.D. Card
- All W-2 Forms
- All 1099 INT and DIV Forms (For interest or dividends)
- Form 1098 (For mortgage interest)
- Confirmation of your bank routing information (a voided check or computer print out) if direct deposit is desired

- Power of Attorney or IRS Form 8482(if separated from your spouse and filing jointly)

- Amounts of qualified child care expenses (no overnight camps)

- Social security numbers and dates of birth of your spouse and/or dependents

- Any other tax-related documents that you may have

The tax center is limited to individual income tax assistance. The staff is unable to provide advice or assistance to anyone owning a private business. However, taxpayers may fill out a Schedule C and bring it in with the rest of their tax documents for electronic filing.

Free tax advice and electronic tax filing are helpful services offered to the military community. Electronic filing is one of the quickest ways to get your income tax refund. Specifically, electronic filing can provide a refund to a person in as little as two weeks if you participate in direct deposit and allow the IRS to electronically transfer your refund directly into your account. For more information, call 784-4131.